Wednesday, August 19, 2009

First Grade!!!!!

Today I have a first grader!!


This morning started out very early. After a long summer of lazy mornings, it was surprisingly easy to get Jacob out of bed and ready for school. He has been super excited about first grade and had counted down the days. After Meet The Teacher night he was even more excited. Another boy from our neighborhood is in his class, and his buddy from preschool is in his class as well. I could see him sigh in relief that he would know someone in his class.

This year is going to be a little different. Jacob decided he is big enough to ride the bus to and from school. Last year, about mid year, he decided he wanted to ride the bus home. I allowed him, but paced the floor every afternoon waiting for the bus to come. My heart would race until I saw him step off the bus. Well, at 7:00am I put him on the bus to go to school. He looked so small, but I could tell he felt SO big. He sat by the window about half way back. I could see his face barely tall enough to see out the window. He wouldn't wave but gave me the tough-guy-head-nod. I could tell he was a little nervous, but he was also very proud of himself.

5 comments:

Amy J said...

Aww, what a grown-up little man. I hope he, and you, enjoy this first day of school!

Amy said...

I would have been bawling!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe he wouldn't even wave! When did these kids grow up on us?!

pat said...

you can't wave at mom. not when you are trying to look tough.

cod said...

That was MY son who just said that and so I understand. ;¬)

The best thing about Jacob is how much he enjoys life!

I credit the two of you for instilling confidence in him.

(((((Jacob)))))