Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Blueberries



Last week I went blueberry picking with my Mother. We drove up into the mountains off a little country road and up a dirt driveway to find a little brick house and two small pups to welcome us. There was a little old man with coveralls walking toward us from the back part of his property. My Mom shouted, "We are here to pick blueberries!" He shouted back, "Well, help yourself!" We started walking back toward the street. I finally noticed the dozens of blueberry bushes. They were huge! Probably 8 feet tall and just as big around. These bushes were loaded! Loaded with bright purple-blue berries.

My Mom started picking right away. I decided to get right in the middle. It was an amazing experience to be surrounded by blueberries. All you had to do is put your bucket under a branch and run your hand along the berries and they would just fall into the bucket. The unripe ones left on the bush for later picking. I only found one inch worm and a couple of spiders. No snakes - thankfully. It was perfectly peaceful.

After picking 3 gallons worth we walked up to the carport and paid the nice man. My Mother asked him how old his blueberry bushes were. He said he planted them in 1975. Holy cow! I am two years older then those plants!

I now have all of these blueberries. I will need to learn to bake a pie! For now we are enjoying blueberry smoothies.

2 comments:

megan said...

Wow, my kids would be IN HEAVEN!!! I need to find a place like that to take them to!

cod said...

Aw that sounds fun!