Monday, October 25, 2010

An O'Donnell Wedding

This past weekend we drove up to Northern Kentucky for an O'Donnell Family Wedding. Most family events are a perfect reason for a family to reunite, to see how much the kids have grown, and to just catch up. Well, an O'Donnell Family Wedding is not one of these times.

An O'Donnell Family Wedding is an event. It is something that will be talked about for years to come. It is simply... a party. (A really fun party!)


Tod's cousin, Jill O'Donnell married Ian Sheckel this weekend.
Jill was 15 years old when Tod and I got married. She walked into our reception and said, "This is where I'm going to have my reception one day!" Well, that day came and she kept her word. We took over the hotel. An O'Donnell Invasion.
The reception starts out like every other reception with announcing the wedding party, dinner, first dances, cutting the cake. Once the music starts the party begins.
I am not one for dancing. I am usually the girl sitting at the table in the corner with every one's purses and coats drinking a beer tapping my foot to the beat. Well, at an O'Donnell Family Wedding...not participating is NOT an option.
I actually danced. The entire night! I am using the word "dance" very lightly. I kind of move around in the same spot occasionally keeping the beat to the music. But still. I danced.
Tod's brother, Pat is the family dancer. (Does every family have one?) Several times that night the dance floor was cleared to make room for Pat to move. Just amazing. It is hard to share the floor with Pat, but we were all out there.
The best part of the night was seeing Tod's Dad out on the dance floor with his sister and brothers singing and ....dancing. For those of you who don't know, Tod's Dad is in a wheelchair. Has been for four years now. I remember when he was in the hospital and had to get a blood transfusion. He said, "I hope it is the blood of a tap dancer!" Well Tom, you didn't need it. You definitely still have the same moves!
As the night was wrapping up we sat in the lobby and talked and laughed and laughed some more. I think we were all feeling a little blue that the night was almost over. Then another one of Tod's cousins announced that they were getting married in June!! Yes! Another O'Donnell Family Wedding!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i love weddings! is there video of you dancing??!! : )

ODonnell Family Blog said...

No video! Thank goodness!

cod said...

hehehe.....maybe there IS!

Nah. Loved the event too Kat. Sitting at a table with my "big kids" is an event in itself for me, but to share it with that big crazy Irish family is wonderful, I agree.

See you soon!

Jane said...

Pat and I are still recovering from the O'Donnell family party. It's tough getting old!!

And I hear you about the dancing! I finally got out there and tried to take Sean with me but he wasn't having it! ;)

It was so sweet to see Tom out there really happy and enjoying himself with the fam! :)