Sunday, July 26, 2009

Firsts

As an adult we don't have very many "firsts". It seems like we have experienced many things, traveled to many places, and eaten many different things. Even if we are doing something for the first time, chances are we have experienced something similar to it. Growing up we have many firsts. First steps. First words. First roller coaster ride. First road trip. First taste of Thai food. Many firsts.

Well, Friday night Jacob had another first. His very first Jell-o shot. Yep, a Jello-shot. Loaded. Our neighbors had a party and the shots were sitting on a table in between the potato chips and the brownies looking very delicious and inviting. Many colors - red, yellow, green. Beautifully arranged on trays in little white cups. So tempting.

It was getting late and Brady was starting to yawn. I was gathering up our things to head back home. Another neighbor witnessed this "first" and alerted me about it. My first reaction was "Oh, No!" I found Jacob and asked him if he had one of the little Jell-o cups. He said he had and shrugged his shoulders. I told him that he didn't do anything wrong but the Jell-o had alcohol in it and they are for the grown-ups to have.

Jacob: "What's alcohol?"
Me: All I could think of saying was, "It has beer in it."
Jacob: "Oh....it kind of tasted sour and yucky."
Me: "Good!"

I told him it was time for us to head home because his brother was getting sleepy. He started to cry. I thought, he must feel bad about taking the Jell-o shot. I comforted him all the way home and told him that he didn't do anything wrong. Mommy should have noticed them there and told him that he couldn't have any of the grown-up Jell-o. I was wrong. He said, "I sure wish I had taken a brownie instead!! That's why I am crying!!"

I'm sure we will have many more first like this one.

5 comments:

megan said...

LOL :) Isn't it funny how things that seem like a big deal to us aren't a big deal to them (and vice versa) I love it.

Unknown said...

so, the real question is, did he have a hang over this morning??!! : )

Amy said...

OMG!!!!!! I would have called poison control!!!!That's how much I would have freaked out! You were so calm! :)

Amy J said...

yikes! Did he get drunk? :)

ODonnell Family Blog said...

No hangover...I had him drink a whole bunch of water before going to bed.