Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Negative Nelly

We all have that person in our life. We have that Negative Nelly or Negative Nelson that keeps our feet firmly planted on the ground. It seems like when I want to try something new or accomplish something for myself I receive lots of "Really?"'s and "Are you sure you can do that?"'s from this person. It gets very frustrating. I would much rather hear, "Great!", "I know you can do it", or even a "Wow! You will do great with that!"

When you hear something negative does it discourage you or let it fuel your fire? Do you stop and say, "they are right, I can't do it." or do you have that "Ha! In your face!" moment. I wish I could be that "in your face!" person. Even if I do prove someone wrong I don't rub it in. I just take a moment and sit and bask in my own private glory.

I have to admit having this Negative Nelly friend sure makes me a better friend. I know what it feels like to be shot down and want to make sure I don't make others feel the same way. It is easy to be discouraging, but it is hard to break someones SPIRIT!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ew. kathryn, you need to ditch this friend!!! there's something to be said for a friend that is honest with you and sometimes that can be hard, but friends are supposed to pump you up and help you succeed! i don't know what you've been told you can't do, but i do know you and i know you can do it!!!

Jennifer B. said...

I'm sure you've already thought of this but if a friend is being negative about something you'd like to accomplish, try out or change (unless it's something dangerous or foolish - which I'm sure in your case it's not) that behavior says everything about them and nothing about you. But of course, the nosy side of me is wondering who you're speaking of.

cod said...

I'd like to say that a negative comment like that doesn't bother me one bit, but I think it is just human nature to want encouragement and support from our friends/parents/mates.

I think also that one learns to expect that type of attitude from a certain person, so it is less taken to heart when it comes.

As Jennifer said......those type of remarks are representative of their own attitudes and not yours.

(((Kat))) I believe that you can do ANYTHING that you want bad enough!

melissa said...

Yes..a true friend will always say "good for you" "thats awesome" "can I do it with you". Whatever it is..I think you are one of the best people I have ever met in my life. Hopefully for that one debbie downer you will have 10 positive friends! Hugs..melissa