Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Knowledge is Power

Yesterday I found out that I hurt a friends feelings. Even though it was inadvertently...feelings were still hurt...and I caused it.

Knowing that I hurt a friend hurt me. Severely. I believe within a half hour I experienced every emotion. I was sad that I hurt them, embarrassed that I hurt them, angry that they were even hurt, surprised because I had no idea that I hurt them, and then back to sad.

I have to hand it to my friend because it took courage to even tell me that I had done something that hurt her feelings. When someone hurts my feelings I usually internalize it and then poor Tod gets an ear full at a later date. Then I feel better and move on. (Not sure if Tod has moved on or not....) The other person never knows that they even effected me.

The benefit of my friend telling me is that I was able to apologize. I was able to tell them how much their friendship means to me. I was able to realize that knowing that I hurt them was so much better then NOT knowing.

1 comment:

cod said...

(((Kat))) I truly agree. There was a similar incident in my past. The one I hurt told everyone BUT me. I felt all those emotions you did, when another friend finally told me what happened. I was shocked that a sarcastic remark I had made was taken seriously.

I am so glad that you had a chance to explain, apologize, and clear the air.