Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Toot! Toot!

This blog post has been a year in the making.  I've had several titles rolling around in my head including -  365, I Did It!, and Run! Kat! Run!  I decided to go with Toot!  Toot! because this is the best place for me to just toot my own horn.

Well, today I did it.  I ran every day for one year.  Every day.  Running.  For a whole year.  I have to admit it is a little anti-climactic...until I looked back at what a year it has been.

I ran through pouring rain, 100 degree heat, 40 mph wind gusts, and a Christmas fog so thick that I almost got lost.

I ran through sinus infections, respiratory infections, massive hangovers, and two broken toes.

I ran through cities like Charlotte and Washington, DC.   Mostly I ran through small towns like, Gatlinburg, TN, Warsaw, KY, Morganton, NC, Rayville, LA, Hilton Head Island, SC, and Nokomis, FL.

I fell once - pretty bad.  I was chased by barking dogs.  I was almost hit by a car and have learned NEVER run in the neighborhood on Garage Sale Day!  

I have also learned a lot on my runs.  Not only about myself but about my surroundings.  Here is what I have learned...

*I love my Brooks running shoes
*The serious dog walkers are out at 5:30am
*Running is a great way to see a city
*People in small towns love to wave at you as you pass them on their porches
*I can never EVER be a foot model - even if I wanted to
*I no longer have back aches
*I feel like I am being a good role model for my kids
*I am stronger than I thought I was

Tomorrow, Tod and I are going out to celebrate our (yes, he has been running for a year too!) one year anniversary.  And, yes...we will keep running...every day.

6 comments:

cod said...

Ah, that's right! I remember when you were at the cabin last year and had only just started but had a goal!

You did it!

You are a strong woman! Go Kat Go!

Anonymous said...

Go Kat Go! You definately inspired me to start running back in December. - Kelly

gumps said...

proudaya Kat

megan said...

I am so impressed!!!

Nic said...

Love it!! Tell me more about your Brooks shoes...what do you love about them and what "model" are they? I'm in the market for a new pair and am tempted to get the same Asics again, but would love to branch out.

Way to go! Have you ever thought about submitting your story to a women's health mag (Shape, Fitness, etc)? I bet there are so many women out there who could benefit from your story. I know the experience has brought you so much.

Unknown said...

Kat, I just wanted to say that you are an inspiration!!!! I LOATHE the running, so I know how amazing it was to do this. Keep it up. You rock!