Thursday, July 11, 2013

Are We Being Unfair?

Yesterday our oldest son came to us with a proposal.  He wants a dog.  He REALLY wants a dog. 

Tod and I are not really "pet" people.  We have had several fish over the last 10 years, but you cannot snuggle up to a goldfish. Who am I kidding...fish are truly temporary pets.

It is so hard to say no to him.  He's a good kid.  He gets good grades.  He is just a sweet kid who has never given us any trouble.  How can you say no to him?

My mom tells the story about when I was three years old and crawled on to the floor for days and acted like a cat because all I wanted was a kitten so very badly.  After a few days my mom gave in and got us a kitten.  A little black kitten with white paws, chest and a little white mustache.  His name was Buster.  I loved Buster.  I would follow him around everywhere.  I would put him in the basket of my bike and ride round and round in the driveway.  I would carry him and hug him and try to get him to sleep with me every night.  Buster hated me.  I looked like a battered child because I was so scratched up from head to toe.  I didn't care.  Love is blind, right? 

In middle school we got a little Shih Tzu puppy.  Her name was Buffy.  Buster hated Buffy too. (It wasn't just me!)  Buffy was a good dog except for meal time.  We couldn't keep her from begging...couldn't blame her.  My mom's a pretty good cook!  Buffy lived for a long time.  I remember planning our wedding with Buffy laying in the living room.

Aren't all little boys supposed to have a dog? 

Explaining to him that we don't have a big yard, we travel so much, and dogs poop...a lot, and listing all of the reasons why we just cannot get a dog was reasonable and truthful.  Looking at his little sad face was heartbreaking.  Are we being unfair?  Unreasonable?  Cruel?

sigh.

3 comments:

Katie Skipper said...

Now you know I am the number one Dog fan around.... but the truth is that YOU My friend Kat will be the one taking care of this dog for the Majority of its Life, not Jacob. So ultimately you should be the one to decide if you have time and resources to bring a dog into your home.... I do recall you giving me pet advice once.... something about how its like having a perpetual toddler in your house that is never going to move out.... sound familiar :) Miss you friend!!

Katie Skipper said...

Another thought.... Perhaps Jacob could volunteer with a local shelter to learn more about dogs and what is involved in having a dog in your family. I know lots of folks in rescue, happy to make some connections for you if you are interested...

cod said...

Kat, you know me.....I love dogs, even despicable ones. ;-)

I love Jacob more and know just how hard it is for you to say no to him.

I am sure you have explained how your constant traveling would be hampered if you had a pet. I am also sure this didn't convince him.

I would suggest fostering, but a kid would get too attached.

Man, this is tough!

(((mom and dad)))