Friday, March 28, 2008

Papa

I'm feeling a little sentimental today, so bear with me.

My Mom read me a letter from her first cousin to her father, my Papa. In this letter she thanked him for some of the things that he did for her and her brother and sisters and for being such a good Uncle. It took a while to sink in, but I realized that Papa taught me some things too.

My Mimi and Papa took my sister and I on our first airplane trip. I remember dressing up. I mean REALLY dressing up. We had on beautiful dresses and Papa, of course, wore a suit. It was such a big deal. Things sure have changed. Whenever I fly I see people in sweat pants, T-shirts, and even pajamas. Papa still wears a sports coat when flying. Some things never change.

I remember Papa teaching me how to eat crawfish. We went down to a neighbors house. They were having a big crawfish boil in their back yard. Picnic tables were lined with newspaper. I couldn't imagine eating off of newspaper. When the crawfish was ready they just dumped it in the middle of the table along with corn on the cob and potatoes. Right on the table. No trays. No plates. And certainly no utensils!! I sat next to Papa. He showed me how to hold the crawfish and to twist the head off. Then you suck out the juices! Yikes! I wasn't too sure about that! I saw him do it, then I tried it too. Then he showed me how to peel off the first few shells to get to the "meat" of the crawfish and pull it out in one big juicy piece. That crawfish tasted so good. What a crazy experience. I don't like seafood. I never did. But I love crawfish!!

Papa is a great bartender! He used to give me little sips of his Bourbon and water. It tasted awful! I would always ask for a sip knowing I wouldn't like it. He would get such a kick out of the expression on my face after I tasted the sour bourbon. Even to this day he has a Bourbon and water and my Grandmother has her Margarita every evening at five o'clock.

Papa has been in the hospital since the first of February. He has good days and bad days. His lungs are weak. His heart is weak. I'm not sure if he is teaching me another lesson. Maybe a bigger lesson that I am not ready for.

Papa, thank you for teaching me to dress for the adventure, to live in the moment, and to live life like it is happy hour!

5 comments:

megan said...

Wow, so sweet.

Unknown said...

oh kat. i'm tearing up girl. i know all about the special bond between a girl and her grandpa. how blessed you are that you had these special experiences with him. even when he is no longer with you, you'll always have those times.

Varna said...

Such a sweet post. Lulu and Sadie just enjoyed a crawfish boil with their Paw Paw last week- the newspapers on the table, eat with your hands kinda meal- wonderful- I know they will always remember it too. Prayers for your Papa!

Tracy said...

What an awesome post! That really tugged on my heartstrings and of course made me cry. I love you girl! I'm always here when you need me! Thanks for sharing.

cod said...

I always say that there is nothing like family.

I love the way you are expressing your feelings here Kat. I know you well and I know how deep your feelings go and I think it's a privilege that you share them here with us.

(((Papa))) I've seen his face and know how much you and Ellen mean to him too. AND THE BOYS....what a gift you've given to them both.