Friday, November 7, 2008

And......ACTION!

The other day I asked Jacob what he wanted to do now that his golf lessons were over. He said that he will have to think about it. A few days later he said he knew what he wanted to do. He said, "Mommy, I want to be on commercials and then have my own show." Thanks Nickelodeon!

Ok...where do I begin with this adventure? I spent an afternoon researching acting/modeling sites, contacting the Better Business Bureau and looking at talent agencies in the area. I found one that seemed to be the best in the area and they had an open casting call the next Saturday!! I had no idea what to expect. We only needed to show up with a photo (didn't need to be professional) and clean hair! We can do that! After signing in, we waited for all the other hopefuls to show up. There were about 100 people there and only a couple of kids. The agent spoke to us for about 15 minutes and told us about the company and what to expect. She hinted that they were not looking for kids at that moment but wanted to see everyone anyway. Jacob was part of the first group. They had to walk the length of the room and then say a few words in front of the judges. The judges gave you a card that said to come back tomorrow or a card that said No Thank you. Jacob didn't seem nervous at all. I was a wreck! There is no way that I could have gotten in front of 100 people like that! He walked then gave the judges his picture and his information sheet. The agent fed him some lines. He said them kind of monotone and not loud enough for anyone to hear. We got the No Thank You card. When we were leaving Jacob said, "That was fun! Can we do it again?" Sure!

I emailed the agent for some feedback. I told her that this was our first time and I hadn't prepared Jacob for the casting call. She said that he did fine. They just were not looking for kids and she didn't have the heart to turn us away. She wants us to come back in January or February! Well, I think we will need to work on some of our "acting" skills!

I'm so proud of Jacob for getting up in front of all of those people. Even though we didn't get picked, he did a great job. We will go back and try this again at the beginning of the year!! Nickelodeon here we come!!!

7 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

That is such an interesting experience! I would have been nervous, too. I wish Jacob the best of luck with his future commercial/tv auditions. :-)

melissa said...

That is great you were such a big supporter for what he wanted to try! I was wondering how it all went. If he ever needs a girl to practice his lines with..Ava will be waiting:) Melissa C

Amy J said...

That is so cool! And how awesome of you to go the extra mile to find a way for him to do what he wanted. Can't wait to hear what happens come Jan/Feb!

cod said...

I agree with your friends, Kat, supporting your child is the most important part of their development. If we hadn't supplied Tod with all the bank pens ("peens") when he was a toddler, would he have become a banker? ;¬)

Jacob is reminding me of his uncle, the entertainer.

I'm proud of you AND Jacob.

Unknown said...

wow kat. i honestly would have blown molly off if she had come to me with this. maybe i need to take her more seriously.

and bravo to jacob for being so brave!

Jane said...

What a great experience for Jacob! Now's the time to try everything and see what he really likes!

Anonymous said...

Yay, Jacob! He was reading to me in my dream last night. LOL!!

So cool that you took him to that casting call. I've always thought Drew would have enjoyed acting, but he never went for it.