Thursday, January 15, 2009

Steal Magnolias

I have always said that no one cries alone in my presents and if there is an emergency...don't call me. I have never been good in a bad situation. Today I was tested. The boys and I were in the waiting room for Jacob's ENT appointment (he is fine BTW) watching the television. A nurse ran through the door and changed the channel to the news and she was followed by a Mom and her two kids who were about 5 and 6 years old. The Breaking News ran across the TV saying there had been a USAirways plane crash from New York to Charlotte. The woman was frozen. The older brother started to cry and yelled, "Does this mean Daddy is dead? Is Daddy dead?" My boys were in shock and glued themselves to their seats. The nurse and I were right there. The Mom just melted into the carpet in great sobs. The daughter cried and the son continued hysterically yelling, "Daddy's dead!" I couldn't say anything. The Mom reached out and she grabbed my hand. I pulled her son in and we just sat there on the floor of the waiting room. I traded a sorrow filled glance with the nurse, but there was really nothing we could do. Then suddenly the Mom's cell phone rang. She said, "Hello? Is that really you?" It was her husband. He was OK. The two kids and their Mom just sat there and told him that they loved him and that they were so happy that he is safe. I gave her a smile and sat back down with the boys. I looked up and saw three men in tears. Not hiding it. Just crying into their hands at what they just saw.

It was amazing to see such devastation and elation. I was so surprised at myself. I actually held it together. Well, until I got in the car. I lost it and cried all the way home. I can still hear that little boys voice. It is haunting. I am going to squeeze Tod a little harder tonight.

9 comments:

cod said...

Oh ((((Kat))))) what a story. First of all, I am SO glad that story had such a beautiful and happy ending. Secondly, you are JUST the kind of person someone would reach out for when they need compassion.

Amy J said...

Wow, just wow. I have the chills and tears in my eyes just reading that, Kat. I cannot imagine the emotional overload that came with living it.

melissa said...

wow..I believe you were there for a reason. Thank you for sharing with us. Love..Melissa C

Karen said...

Wow, what an incredible story. Thank God everyone was okay.

Jane said...

Whoa, I am seriously fighting back the tears. I'm so glad their dad is ok. I am horrible in emergency situations too. Good thing you were there Kat!

Nic said...

Wow. I'm so glad everything worked out and the husband (as well as the 150 other passengers)made it out safely. Way to go Kat for holding it all together for a fellow mom!

Therese said...

Kat, that is just absolutely crazy. What did the boys think of it all after you got home? Steve works just outside of NY and we have a few family members who were wondering if he flew out of NYC, but he flies out of Newark. The other consultant, lives here in CLT and the office called here in a panic. Steve called the man's wife and she said he was fine. He flew out of Newark too. It just makes you realize how close to home this can be. I am thankful that they had an awesome pilot flying. And give yourself some credit for holding her hand. You're a strong woman, and this just confirms it! :)

Amy said...

CHILL BUMPS!!!!! and tears!!!

Ben and Katie Smoot said...

WOW- so was he ON that plane? What an experience for you, Jacob and that family. Wow.