Tuesday, January 13, 2009

WHAT?

Before the holidays Tod and I were getting a little frustrated with Jacob. Whenever we would ask him to do something he wouldn't do it or he would give us a look and say, "what?" We decided that he had a case of the "6 Year Olds" or just not paying attention.

Last Thursday I took him in for his 6 year old well visit and he failed the hearing test. Hmmm. My dear friend Katie Peter pulled some strings and waved her magic wand and got us an appointment with the Charlotte ENT Audiologist yesterday. Once again he failed the extensive hearing test. Dr Rainey said that she believes it is fluid in the ears, but wants us to see the ENT so they can look in his ears and give us a diagnosis. We go on Thursday.

I feel like such a bad Mommy! Now that I know he has had some hearing loss over the last few weeks I can see all of the warning signs and red flags that have been right in front of my face. He truly hasn't heard me when I've been talking to him. I just thought he was distracted or was just ignoring me. Yikes!

I wrote his teacher today and told her what was going on. She responded with "So that's what has been going on with him!" She also noticed him behaving differently and seated him closer to her so he can pay attention and hear her instructions. Mrs. Carroll is wonderful and is committed to helping him until we figure out what is going on.

I'll post an update later this week after we see the ENT. Wish us luck!

8 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

Kat, please don't feel guilty about this. :-) How were you supposed to know? I hope that everything turns out really well and that it is just a temporary hearing issue. Much love to you.

Amy J said...

There is no way you could have known, please don't feel bad. I hope you can get some answers soon and get the WHAT's out of your house.

Amber Greenawalt said...

Oh Kathryn! Wishing you all the best and hoping that everything turns out okay :) ((HUG!))

cod said...

(((Kat))), mommies always think they should know everything about their children. That's why there are "well visits" and doctors! ;¬)

(((Jacob)))

Amy said...

Oh goodness! Hope everything will be ok with him!!! Wish there was a secret handbook that was birthed with each child... then things would be a lot easier!

melissa said...

We will be thinking of Jacob..much love! melissa C

Varna said...

Kat, It was good to see you and the boys on sunday- how did they like sunday school? Sadie has a lot of ear probs and just came across this: http://www.aip.org/dbis/stories/2006/15124.html
Sounds interesting at least.

ODonnell Family Blog said...

Thanks Varna! This really helps. I will bring it up at our appointment tomorrow. Yes, the boys loves Sunday School. It was really nice to see a familure face!