Thursday, September 24, 2009

Normal



It has been such a stressful 6 months for our family. In the Spring Brady's preschool teacher wrote us an email with some concerns she had about Brady's development. The things that she was telling us were not things that we had noticed about him. She told us that Brady was just so far behind the other kids in the class. Wow. What a slap in the face of reality. All of the concerns that his teacher had for Brady pointed toward Autism.

After many sleepless nights we put Brady on the schedule to be evaluated through the school system. I filled out dozens of pages of forms and behavior surveys we finally had his evaluation in August. It was an hour long evaluation on his development and speech. Yesterday, the school psychologist did the classroom evaluation to see how Brady followed direction and interacted with other kids.

Today I get the phone call. The phone call to tell me what her findings are about Brady. The phone call that could take our family in a different direction. The phone call that I have worried about for months. I listened carefully and took notes so I could relay all information to Tod. Then she said the most fantastic words a I could ever imagine..."Brady is a normal three year old little boy." Aaahhh. I think she could tell that I was teary and trying to hold it together. I was just so relieved.

I told myself that I would be thankful either way. I would be thankful if there was something wrong and we were able to catch it early to help him. I would also be thankful if there wasn't something wrong and be happy to have a normal little boy. I can't help but feel angry. Angry that we had all of this useless worry, sleepless nights, and unlimited tears shed because of what his previous teacher thought she so expertly saw as developmental problems. I also can't help but feel grateful. Grateful that we have proof that we have a normal little boy. Grateful that he is in our lives. Grateful that he is loved and healthy.

I cannot express how relieved I am. I can guarantee that we will all sleep better tonight.

13 comments:

cod said...

Oh Kat, this made me cry. I know how relieved you and Tod, and all of us are.

That child (look at that face!) is perfect to all of us, no matter what anyone else thinks, but yeah..........it's important to know he's doing fine and developing at his own pace, and is a happy, healthy little boy.

((((((Brady)))))))

Amy said...

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!! So happy you are going to get a good night's sleep!!! Hugs!

Unknown said...

oh kat... i had no idea you were dealing with this! i am so glad that he is "normal" which i would have truthfully told you from the get go! good for you for having the guts to have him tested. that takes courage.

Karen said...

Huge sigh of relief! Thank God all is well! Have a great night's sleep!

megan said...

I'm SO sorry you had to go through all of this, but am impressed that you went through the testing and didn't just ignore/deny. Good for you. I'm also SO glad that you got the results that you did!!! It's so hard to know what is just variation in each child's developmental timetable and what is a real issue. Seems like the neverending battle for us moms! Oh, and I just love that precious picture of him!!!!!!!!!! Hope things are going well at his new preschool this year. I miss seeing you!!

Therese said...

I am so sorry you had to go through that. I subbed today and saw him on the playground and he was having a blast. I am not sure why the teacher said that, but I am sorry you both (Tod and you) have had to endure so much. Good going Brady... You proved them all wrong. :)

Jane said...

That is SUCH GREAT NEWS!! You must feel like such a weight is lifted from your shoulders. Brady!!! I'm so happy for you guys! I hope you all sleep well!

The Baur Family said...

Oh Kathryn, I had no idea you were dealing with this! So glad you got good results, although like Elaine said, I would have honestly told you that he was a perfectly normal 3 year old! So proud of you for having the courage to go through the testing! You are an amazing mom!

Amy J said...

I'm relieved for you! I'm glad the news was "normal".

Love that picture of him!

Jennifer B. said...

Wow, I am so HAPPY for you (and Tod and Brady). I would have been there for you but I honestly didn't know anything like this was going on. I knew that he was being evaluated but I didn't know the extent to which it was upsetting you (meaning the sleepless nights and so forth). I would have liked to have been there to support you, especially I can certainly empathize with how you may have been feeling. Love ya, Kat.

cod said...

....and to all the mothers and fathers in this world who don't get this kind of report........our hearts are with you. I know some amazing moms who are dealing with children with special needs and they are heroes in my book. You love your child no matter what, but you always wish for them to have an easier road through life.

Jenn said...

Glad to hear the good news! Bummer you had to go through the stress of the situation.
Jenn

Amber Greenawalt said...

Kat, I am so sorry you had to go through that! What a relief that the results were normal. You are great parents to be so proactive for Brady...I hope you are all getting a good night's sleep now :)