Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Streaking

About six weeks ago I read an article in the New York Times about a growing trend in streaking. No, not the "running naked through campus" streaking, but a goal oriented type of streaking. This group was from the United States Running Streak Association ( www.runeveryday.com ) and their goal is very basic.... run every day. Yep that is it. Run every day.

It does sound pretty simple. Running is very simple. All you need is a good pair of shoes. Well, I decided to take this on as a personal challenge. Yep..I'm running every day. I used to run about 3 days a week for about 2.5 - 3 miles. The USRSA requires you to run at least one mile each day. About every 3 days I only run one mile, but most other days I run 2-2.5 miles.

I started running on May 23, 2011. I have a couple of routes in my neighborhood that I take. I've gone to the Y to run on rainy days. I even ran every day on vacation. I ran when I didn't feel like running. I ran through a terrible hangover. I ran in 95 degree heat. I ran and ran and ran.

Today marked my 1st goal of running every day for an entire month. Today I woke up with a double ear infection, a sinus infection, a respiratory infection, and an incredible headache. Today I had to run. I had to meet my goal. I woke up at 615am and slowly put on my running gear. I carefully stepped outside with the sun coming up and barely made it to the end of the driveway with my head spinning and throbbing. I had to pace back and forth for a few minutes to muster up the strength to run one mile. I kept telling myself, "Once this is over you will feel so much better! Once this is over you will feel so much better!" Once it was over I felt like I was going to die. I crawled up the steps then laid myself out on the living room floor. I stayed very still. Tod came in and nudged me to see if I was still alive. Barely. But....I did it. I ran every day for an entire month. It may not seem like much, but for a non-runner like myself this is quite an accomplishment.

Ask me what I will be doing tomorrow at 615am. Running.

10 comments:

rhonda said...

"Doesn't sound like much"! Are you kidding me? That's freakin' amazing!! So proud of you. You've got to be proud of you, too, huh?

cod said...

....and I thought the crabbers on the Berring Sea were amazing!?!

((((Kat)))) now THAT is commitment! I'm proud of you too!

Feel better!

Jane said...

Wooooo-hoooo! That is quite the accomplishment Kat! Seriously awesome!
It's really too bad you couldn't celebrate and got slapped in the face with those darn infections. I hope you get better soon!

cod said...

How's it going today? Any better, Sweetie?

Nic said...

That's so cool!! I'm so impressed you did it every day for a month! I love running outside in the early morning this time of year- it's amazing. I ran Tuesday morning, just becasue it was the longest day of the year and I wanted to make sure I made the most of the extra sunlight.

Therese said...

You're such a wonderful inspiration!! In both action and spirit. I'll have to try it. Is there a minimum you have to run for those days you have NO energy? I can't imagine doing it being as sick as you were. Good for you and Congratulations!!

Unknown said...

YOU ROCK!!!!! WTG Girl! Keep it up!

megan said...

Wow, I'm very impressed!!! GREAT JOB! I hate running but have for some reason always wished I was a runner. Maybe if I had the mental strength to force myself to do it...I'm really proud of you! BTW, I saw you at the library on Saturday and you looked great. Called your name but not loud enough (you know, a library voice). Anyway, great job!

vickie said...

i realize i'm several weeks late in posting a comment but... that's AWESOME!

congrats, kat!

cod said...

Kat I know you are really busy, but would love some DC details. You guys are making the most of this summer. Wow!