Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Another Goal Reached

Tomorrow I will privately celebrate my 6 month anniversary of running every day. I cannot believe that I have lasted 6 months!!

About a year ago I started running to lose weight. I just figured that it was the easiest and fastest way to exercise. (Since I despise exercising.) Then it became a chore. Then I just stopped running all together. Just wasn't into it.

After reading the article in the New York Times about a group of people that run each and every day (rain or shine) I had to do some reevaluating. Tod and I decided to challenge ourselves to run every day. I have to admit I started out with a goal to run every day for one week. That's it. One week. Then I kept pushing the goal further and further into the future. I changed it to one month, then two months, then three...you get the picture. Well I have finally reached my 6 month goal.

Since I am confessing to my hatred of exercising....I shall confess more.

I started running to lose weight and get in shape. Seems like a good weight loss plan to me. However, I was very disappointed that the pounds didn't just fly off my body. Then someone said to me that they were surprised that I was running at all. They told that I didn't seem athletic enough to be a runner. That I didn't have the right "body type" to run. Well that just fueled my fire. I dropped the desire to run for weight loss. I was running to prove this person wrong. Ha! In your face!

Well, that only lasted about a week. I wanted my runs to be a positive experience. I want to run every day to prove to myself that it can be done. I want to run for my husband so he is proud of me. I want to run for my kids and set a good and healthy example. I want to run for my friends so we can share our experiences. And, most importantly, I want to run for those who can't.

A friend recommended the book Mile Markers by Kristin Armstrong to me. I am totally in love with this book and want everyone to read it. She is such an inspiration. She inspires me to inspire others. While reading this book I realized that I use my runs as my "me" time. I use it to work out my problems, schedule my day, or just dream about what I want to do with my life.

I don't' know what my next goal will be. I do know I will keep running for positive reasons. And I will continue to run every day (rain or shine).

6 comments:

vickie said...

congratulations!!! that's awesome!!!

btw, i think now we all know how you REALLY injured your foot a few months ago -- clearly, you gave the git who made the "body type" comment a swift kick in the ass, correct?

;-)

Anonymous said...

proudaya kat

g

cod said...

"run for those who can't"......aw (((Kat)))

I think this is a great achievement. You are an example of discipline to all of us.

PS....Dexter enjoyed his run with you!

cod said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jane said...

Good for you Kat!! Such a commitment. I'm glad you're doing it for positive reasons. I can't believe that person said that to you???
I'm sure Tod and boys are so proud of you!!

Unknown said...

you are amazing. my knees hurt just thinking about running every day! keep going and i want to know when you make a year!