Monday, November 21, 2011

Happy Birthday, Jacob!



This picture just about sums up my Jacob's personality. AND I cannot believe he is already nine years old. Nine! Where has the time gone?


Lately I have had my fair share of eye rolling, and "Geesh, Mom!" 's from Jacob. He has such a strong sense of self and is so independent. I am having trouble letting him be...him. I do believe that I am subconsciously preventing him from growing up. I'm not ready to have such a big kid!!


Friday night we had six of his friends over for a sleep-over. They had a great time, but I did hear Jacob say a couple of times, "I wish my mom would just let us do what we want!" Well, I did have to stop them from doing flips off of the bed and flinging glow sticks at our new TV. Yes, I know.....I'm such a drag! I have to admit I did have my feelings hurt...just a little.


The next day I took Jacob on a lunch date. We went to McDonald's (his choice). He ordered a happy meal and got my drink for me. After he picked out the perfect table for us we settled down and ate our meals. What surprised me most about lunch was that Jacob actually talked to me. He hasn't wanted to really talk to me in such a long time. We talked about school, his friends, what we want to do next summer, Christmas, the beach, and GIRLS! Yep, he actually talked to his mama about girls. I was glowing.


Happy Birthday, Jacob! You brighten every day and make me so proud to be your Mom!

4 comments:

vickie said...

awww, very sweet. and a great photo!

(omg... girls?!)

megan said...

Aw, so sweet. It's crazy how they're growing up. I'm glad you got to go on a special lunch date with him and chat :)

cod said...

(((Kat)))

You are a fantastic Mom. It is hard to let them grow up, but they do, and Jacob is doing a great job at it!

You have a wonderful relationship with your son. It's obvious you are doing the right things even if that means having to assume the boss role at times. ;-)

I loved being there this weekend. Love you all!

Jane said...

Girls??!! OMG!!! You must have been a little beside yourself! That's so great! I know I worry about when my boys get older and don't want to talk to me :(

Sounds like J had a great birthday!! :)