Friday, January 6, 2012

Shingles

On Christmas morning Jacob was so excited to get a new scooter. It is the type that has a lever on the back that you pump and it will propel you forward. Very cool. He loved it and rode it in the cold Kentucky weather. The next day we went to North Carolina to spend Christmas with my family and he rode it in their driveway and at the park. He loved his new scooter. This made Santa very happy!

The day we left North Carolina Jacob came up the steps of the basement and was crying out in pain. He said that his leg hurt. Let me tell you something about Jacob. He is NEVER sick. And when he is sick you would NEVER know. He is just such a happy-go-lucky kind of kid. Tod and I were instantly concerned and gave him some ibuprofen and headed home. We asked Jacob all kinds of questions and we decided he must have pulled a muscle from pumping the scooter.

Jacob rested all that day and the next day. The pain didn't get any better. Tod and I didn't sleep or eat much for two days. We were so worried about him. Saturday morning (New Year's Eve) we all hopped in the car and headed to the doctor. The doc agreed with us that Jacob had a pulled muscle and it will take about 3 weeks to heal. Three weeks! Jacob felt terrible that it would take that long to heal and now hated his new scooter.

That evening we were headed to a New Year's Eve party. I got the boys in the shower before we left. Jacob is 9 and I no longer supervise his bath time, however I was getting Brady dressed and I noticed all of these red bumps on Jacob's butt and lower back. It looked like little spider bites. All I could think of was what else can this kid get himself into?

The next morning there was no change. The pain was still in his leg and the bites were still there.

The next morning everything changed. Jacob had these little "bites" all over his right leg and the pain was still there. We headed back to the doctor. After the doc examined him and asked a hundred questions he asked us to wait a minute and left the room. He came back with another doctor and she examined him as well. I kept making goofy faces at Jacob to keep everything light, but inside I had this heavy sinking feeling that something was REALLY wrong.

The diagnosis...shingles. Yep, shingles. It took two doctors to diagnose shingles. Why? Only 5% of shingles cases are in children and Jacob is the first patient both of these doctors have had in their office to have shingles. We found out that there is nothing we can do to treat him except ibuprofen. The side effects of the medicine is so severe for children that they won't even prescribe it for them. They kind of have to suffer through it and it will take about 10 days to clear up and he isn't contagious.

On the ride home I asked Jacob how he is feeling. He said that he was happy. Happy? What makes you happy? He said that he was happy because it wasn't his scooter that hurt his leg. Well, that put things into perspective for me. We need to focus on the positive....always.

6 comments:

vickie said...

hope he feels better soon! and good for him for seeing the silver lining on the shingles cloud!

Mary Ickert said...

Oh Kathryn, I am so sorry to hear this. I knew someone a while ago who had shingles and they said how painful it was. Bless his heart, I love his response of wanting to still ride on the scooter.. Glad he has his sense of humor. :-) Hang in there and hope he feels better soon. Hugs!!

Karen said...

Oh, he's one tough boy! My dad had shingles (as an adult of course) and I saw how painful it was for him. I never heard of a kid getting it either. So sorry he (and you) has to go through it, and I hope he's doing better now!

Unknown said...

hoping he feels better soon!!!

cod said...

Kat that last paragraph made me get weepy. That is SO Jacob. I love that boy so much, I hate to think of him hurting like that. I am happy he can be one with the scooter again. I've seen him ride it! He'll be going pro soon! ;-)

I have to send hugs to you and to Tod. I know the worry of having your child experience something so scary. (((mom&dad)))

Nic said...

Wow, Kat I can't imagine how scary it was for you guys and for Jacob untile you got the diagnosis. I hate that he has to suffer thru the pain, but love that he's got such a positive outlook on the whole thing.