Friday, January 13, 2012

A Very Sad Neighborhood

It seems like when something bad happens time just stands still and the world just goes on around you.

We have new neighbors that moved in last summer. Our older boys are the same age and play well together. Andrea and I have joined a small neighborhood book club. It has been so fun getting to know her ... she is a very interesting person.

Yesterday her youngest son (2 years old) passed away. He got sick on Tuesday, they found that he had a brain tumor on Wednesday, and he died on Thursday morning. All of the neighbors are in shock.

Today I will go over to Andrea's house to offer my help and support. I don't know what to say. There is nothing that I can say to make anything better or easier. I believe just saying, "I don't know what to say" is better than saying nothing at all though. I cannot begin to imagine her pain and sadness. The ultimate grief is the loss of a child.

It will be a very hard year for my new friend. I will pray for her and her family and hope our friendship will provide her an outlet to grieve.

3 comments:

Amy J said...

Oh, I am so very sorry to hear this. I cannot begin to imagine their grief at this time. I can say though that after losing Mae and hearing so many well-intentioned, but hurtful nonetheless comments that the best thing I heard was from a friends husband who simply said "I don't know what to say". It meant the most and felt the best because their truly wasn't anything that anyone could say that would have made me feel better.
I'll keep your friend in my thoughts.

cod said...

Oh Kat, I am just so sorry. What a tragedy. I will keep them all in my prayers. I know what you mean about time standing still while the world goes on all around you. You wonder how that can be.

Mary Ickert said...

Glad you wrote about this. It helps to talk about it. You are right, as Mom's this is the worst thing that could ever happen. I firmly believe that their is a bigger picture somehow and one day something as awful as this will one day make sense. But until then, love and support and friendship is exactly what she needs and I know she has an amazing friend in you and your family. Hugs Hugs!!