Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Celebration!!!

Tod made me promise not to throw him a 40th birthday party. So... I reluctantly promised.

I have been thinking about his birthday for quite some time now. I wanted it to be special. I wanted it to be fun. I wanted him to remember this birthday. Well...I shouldn't have promised. I totally should have crossed my fingers like I did when I was little.

Then the light bulb clicked on.

There is nothing more important to Tod than his family. He cherishes the time he gets to spend with his parents and his brothers. Before Christmas I put the bug in his and my family's ear that I wanted everyone to come to our house to celebrate Tod's 40th birthday....and don't tell him because it is a surprise! Before I could blink, flights were scheduled and plans were made to come to South Carolina in January!! I couldn't be more excited!!

Then I thought, what in the world am I going to give to Tod for his birthday? I mean 40 is a big one, right?!

Another light bulb.

I wrote a letter to all of our friends and family and asked them to do a random act of kindness in honor of Tod's birthday. Tod doesn't like "things" or "stuff" so everyone contributed to putting a smile on someones face by doing something kind. Some bought lunch for others, some wrote letters of thanks, and others helped those in need. I was overwhelmed by the response!

Last Friday Tod walked into our crowded house to a loud, "SURPRISE"!!! He was noticeably shocked and he couldn't have been happier. The next day I presented him with a print out showing all of the acts of kindness that his friends and family did in his honor. He was just as overwhelmed and pleased that so many people participated.

Thank you to everyone who spent their time and money to make this birthday fun and memorable!

2 comments:

cod said...

Thank you for planning such a wonderful gathering and for loving my son so much. (((Kat)))

Kristie said...

Super idea Kat! I love it. Promise kept, kindness spread, no "stuff" to manage (gifts) and family time all in one.