Saturday, September 6, 2008

Be Proud

I was at the Y the other day and left in such a huff. I was watching a morning news show and they were interviewing a group of moms about Sarah Palin. This particular group of moms were extremely critical about Palin's decisions. They disapproved of her going back to work 3 days after giving birth to her special needs child, her pregnant teenaged daughter, and her juggling a high power career and a family. I couldn't run fast enough to keep up with my building anger.

I understand that we are all intitled to our own political opinions. That's what makes us individuals. I do understand that whoever wins the election in November, history will be made. We don't have to agree with Palin's politics, but we do need to feel proud to see a woman running for the Vice Presidency.

I made the choice to be a stay at home mom. It doesn't make me a better mom than my friends who are working moms. They have the same parental responsibilities. They don't love their children less. We need to stop these "Mommy Wars" and be proud of one another. One of my closest friends went for a job interview after staying at home for 5 years. Good for her. I'm so proud of her for making that leap. It wasn't an easy decision and we need to make sure we support those moms that are going back to the workforce.

Stop critizing Sarah Palin for her choices in motherhood. You can't tell me that you don't worry about having a healthy child, or that your children make the right decisions. Her family represents somethings that we all worry about. We should be proud to have a woman in this position. You don't have to support her with your vote - not sure if I will, but we need to stop bashing her as a mother. Focus on the politics, the visions of the candidates. Let's support each other and put an end to the term - Mommy Wars.

I'm stepping off my soapbox now...

9 comments:

megan said...

AMEN!!!! The article in the paper today made me so mad, about how SO many moms are criticizing her choice to run for office. Why are women so critical of each other??? I'm proud of Sarah Palin.

Carainn said...

Stand up for what we are frist Woman Mother & friends. Its so funny & upseting to me to hear & read all the bull xxxx about Sarah.

Stand Proud we are making History.

If you have nothing good to say zip it.

cod said...

Oooh......I love your passion here (((Kat))).

I don't agree with a lot of her politics, but I know nothing about how she interacts with her family. If she can do it all, more power to her.

Varna said...

Go on Momma! I agree 100% and I think Palin is fantastic. History in the making this year. I agree, moms can be the hardest on other moms, I don't get it!

Tracy said...

Thanks for putting this out there. I'm very proud of her and I'm looking forward to learning more about her.

Unknown said...

it's either going to be a black man or a woman. either way, we have a lot to be proud of as a country. it's an exciting time to be an american!

Three Girls and a Daddy said...

I couldn't have said any of this any better! Women have fought for YEARS to be able to do what she is doing....and now some of them are being critical?!? Personally, I think she's great. :) -Kristi

Amber Greenawalt said...

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN! I loved this post Kat! I happen to be one of the people out there who think she's SUPER! I'm really excited about her. I'm not 100% behind every single one of her views but she's a heck of a lot more eloquent than the dufus we've got now. She seems like a real tough cookie who has a history of reform. The articles in the paper and in magazines just turn my stomach. I've been listening to my Mom friends go on for the past few weeks about how could she abandon her family...nonsense! None of this would even be an issue if she was a man! And you know what? Sometimes I think if I had someone to clean my house, do my laundry, shop for me, cook for my family etc. I would have time for a major job and a whole lot MORE time for QUALITY time with my family. I'm fortunate to be married to a man who can do everything I can do for my kids except maybe breast feed them. If Todd Pahlin is happy to be Mr. Mom then that's awesome!

Jennifer B. said...

I think that a lot of people are unkind because they are ENVIOUS of her. I love Sarah Palin. I agree with you, Kat.