Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Tis the Season

I have been very hopeful this Holiday season. Hopeful in a sense that this season remains light, happy, and fun.

Jacob, who is 8, has many questions about Santa. He is still very wary. Very wary! "How does he come down the chimney when we don't even have one?" "Is it magic? If it is magic then I don't believe in it because I don't believe in magic!" "How does Santa know what I want?" "I just don't know." I have told him just to believe in the Spirit of Christmas. Magical things do happen over the Holiday season. He always shrugs his shoulders and shakes his head.

Last year my sister sent us the Elf on the Shelf. Jacob named him Bob. Ever since Thanksgiving I have been looking for Bob. He was missing! We unpacked all of our Christmas decorations and still no Bob. I was getting very nervous. The four of us were putting up the tree when Tod tapped on my shoulder. He pointed to the kitchen where I saw Bob sitting on top of the fridge. Whew! He showed up.

Bob sat there for about 15 minutes before Jacob went to the kitchen to get a drink. He shouted, "He's here! He's really here!" The look on his face was pure elation. We all ran to the kitchen to see Bob smiling down on us. At that moment Jacob believed. He truly believed. It was so wonderful to see the innocence back in his face.

I am still very hopeful that this season will be fun, merry, and joyful. Miracles do happen.

1 comment:

cod said...

This is a hard age. The kids at school want to share the bad news and the ones who want to believe are torn. Your answer was perfect.

I always told them that *I* loved believing in the magic of Christmas because it made it so much more fun and really cool things happened to me during that time. I always used Pat as a excuse to keep it to themselves if they didn't. Luckily Pat believed until he was 18.

Bob saved this Christmas, huh?

Glad you are posting. Makes me happy!