Friday, December 17, 2010

Well That Didn't Last Long

Yesterday I was on such a Christmas high. After Brady's performance I felt the Christmas Spirit and decided to keep that Spirit up through the season.

Jacob's school Christmas Party was today. He has been looking forward to this day for weeks. His class has been planning and parents have been sending in goodies for today's celebration. His teacher sent and email a couple of weeks ago telling each parent that they were doing a Secret Santa gift exchange and they would only do it if 100% agreed. A couple of days later Jacob came home with his Secret Santa he was supposed to buy for. It was a GIRL!! He was so nervous buying a gift for a girl! Too cute. He got her a pretty purple Christmas ornament. A perfect gift because he said, "Purple is her favorite color".

Today he came home from school VERY upset. He was the only kid in class who didn't get a Secret Santa gift. My heart totally sunk. We both cried for such a long time. I couldn't find the words to comfort him. We were both a total mess. He said, "I can't understand why." I can't either. I hope that his Secret Santa just forgot. I hope it was just an accidental oversight. To an 8 year old...this is HUGE! He said he just had to sit there and watch the other kids open their presents. He felt awful. At this point we are both inconsolable.

Jacob's best friend at school is Jack. Well, Jack couldn't stand Jacob being so sad so he gave Jacob his Secret Santa gift - a Hot Wheels Monster Truck. Jacob told me that he couldn't tell Jack that he didn't want it - that gift was for Jack not for him. He said that Jack didn't want him to be sad so he took the gift. I am touched that Jack would do this. Jacob gave the truck to Brady. He said that he didn't want it. He is still just so upset. He feels forgotten. He is such a sad little boy today. Which makes a very sad Mommy.

I am having trouble with the "better to give than to receive" translation to my 8 year old. I sent and email to his teacher expressing our sadness. I hate seeing my son so sad. I hate seeing his Christmas Spirit crushed. We will have to work extra hard this week to find our Christmas Spirit again.

7 comments:

megan said...

Oh, that's just awful! How sad :( I hope things start looking up for Jacob (and you!)

Unknown said...

boo hiss!!! perhaps his secret santa was home sick or something. or perhaps the mom just plain old forgot. i'd tell jacob that you are going to send a note to santa and that maybe santa could find room on his sleigh for an extra special gift for such a great kid. : )

Amy said...

I can't believe the teacher let this get by... and didn't contact you right away... That would have been the only way for her to handle this the right way! WOW!!! I agree with Elaine... on the special gift! Merry Christmas!

cod said...

The teacher should have had an extra gift or two for just such an occasion.

((((Kat and Jacob))))) you know this breaks my heart too. Jacob is such a sweet boy. His friend Jack sounds equally sweet.

I am just so sorry this happened to him.

Lou said...

Wow, Cod, my idea exactly. The teacher needed to be prepared for emergencies. The Secret Santa child was just out sick, that's all--no one could just forget Jacob! I am so sorry, Kat.

Jane said...

Poor J! That's terrible. Yeah, the teacher for sure needed to have a back-up plan in this situation. That's not right. Poor guy. Heartbreaking. :(

vickie said...

a delayed but no less sincere "WHAT?!?!"

i'm with moob and lou -- a couple of extra presents in case of emergency should have been #1 on the teacher's to-do list.

i'm happy to hear the spirit has returned to your household in the interim! :-)