Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Level of Happiness

I was listening to the radio the other day and a happiness "expert" was talking about when people are the happiest in their lives. Well, first thing I thought was, "This is going to be interesting!"



"Happiness has many different levels throughout our life," the expert said. Yep. Agreed. I totally understand that being a child with no cares or worries would be off-the-charts happy. When you are first in love...again at the peak of happiness. I almost turned off the radio at this point. Seems like I understand this one. Then he said, "Parents of preschoolers are the least happy of all as a couple." What? Really? Well, that's me! That's us! I turned up the volume.


At first I had my defenses up. I'm happy. Who does this guy think he is? Humpf.


He continued, "Parents of preschoolers are at the lowest point of happiness as a couple because this is the time a child's life is the happiest. Parents are trying to provide this utopia for their kids. Sheltering them from the truths of the big bad world. Parents feel the pressure and strain of raising a child to be ready for school, ready to socialize, and prepare them for life after childhood."


Well, this kind of makes sense. When I got home Tod and I actually talked about what I heard on the radio. And we both agreed that some of what he said was true, but some was not the case in our family. We feel like the frustration of raising children (i.e. potty training, sleeping issues, sharing, table manners) makes our happiness level very low, however the strength in the love that we feel for our children overshadows this unhappiness.


I cannot imagine my life without these two boys. Now that would be a life of unhappiness!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

: )
love you kat!

Jane said...

Awwww! Those two boys would brighten anyone's day!!

The positives for sure outweigh the negatives in parenthood.

cod said...

I am so glad my daughters feel this way about raising children.

I know it's a difficult time, but Tom and I treasured the few moments we had to talk and discuss, just like you and Tod did. Sure a lot of it was about the kids, but that was our strongest tie to each other.

Now we talk about YOUR kids. It always produces a happy conversation. :¬)

pat said...

I think having the opportunity to see the world through the perspective of a young child has made my life happier. If all I thought about was income, taxes, payments, expenses, etc. Most of my days would seem grim and tougher to bear. When I get to think about coloring, building blocks, sled riding, and the joy of bodily functions, I smile more. Kids allow me to relive those days that I was "happiest", and therefore, if this is the lowest point of my happiness then the future looks very bright.