Thursday, April 17, 2008

Animal Crackers Can Cause Emotional Breakdown

Jacob came home from school yesterday very sad. He wouldn't tell me what happened. I didn't want to badger him about it so I let it go. This morning when I was getting his back pack together he freaked out. He was very concerned about what snack he was going to have. I told him his snack was the same as yesterday - animal crackers. He freaked out again and said that he wasn't going to school. What? What's going on? Now, most of you know how sensitive Jacob is. It isn't anything new for him to be over emotional about things. But, this is the first time he has been this emotional about animal crackers. Finally he told me that all of the other boys in his class made fun of him because of his snack. Oh my gosh! Why? Well, the bag of animal crackers has a picture of Dora on them. The boys in his class said that it is a "girly snack". My heart sank. The snack that I carefully chose for him has made him the subject of ridicule among his classmates!! Today Jacob went to school with goldfish. Harmless goldfish. When I picked him up I asked him how his snack went over. He said, "The goldfish were fine, but can I have some animal crackers for lunch?" Ok - animal crackers it is!

9 comments:

megan said...

Aww...that's heartbreaking that kids would tease him for something like that! Poor guy.

Carainn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carainn said...

when you come over on Thursday I will have Animal crackers waiting for you.
your buddy Arann

cod said...

Aw. Tell Gran who said THAT to you Jacob! Grrrr

gumps said...

Kat,

USA Today announced a new NSA program which will screen packages for the appropriateness of delivery to specified destinations. I only scanned the destinations, but I don't remember his school(which I've been directed to leave unnamed) being listed. If you like I will follow up.

BTW, prior to his entry into public school, you may want to review the socio/economic issues involved in sending gold fish into public schools. Seems a bit elitest to me, but then I can't shake my KY roots.

Just make sure to lay off the Altoids(big uncle Pat directions)

gumps

Unknown said...

after rereading my comment i wanted to add that children being mean to each other about the femininity of their snacks is stupid... NOT Jacob! we know he's super smart!

Amy J said...

Aw, kids can be so mean at times. I thought we had a few more years before these kinds of troubles, but I guess not.

Amy J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracy said...

Poor Jacob :-( Elaine, I love your idea!